AUGUST, SATURDAY 1th. 2015
INFINITIVES AND GERUNDS.
The objective of this class is to learn the distinction between infinitive and gerund and its correct application.
INFINITIVES ---> To describe the purpose
of SOMEONE.
GERUNDS ---> To describe the purpose of SOMETHING.
Examples:
Examples:
An infinitive is the to + verb form.
1. What do you use a
hair dryer for?
I use a hair dryer to dry my hair.
2. What did you go to
the store?
I went to the store to buy some milk.
3. Why are you going
to Toronto?
I am going to Toronto to learn English.
A gerund is a verb
that acts like a noun.
To form a gerund, add
– ing to the end of the verb.
1. What is a hair
dryer for?
A hair dryer is for drying hair.
2. What is this
computer program for?
This computer program is for editing videos.
• A memory stick is used to store information. (Infinitive).
• A memory stick is used for storing information. (Gerund).
• I use my video game to play different kind of games. (Infinitive).
• Video games are used for playing different kind of games. (Gerund).
The gerunds is diverse in that modifies the verb in the same way they do adverbs and accessories, meaning a way , a condition , a cause, a circumstance . " Walking the knights by forests and villages.
ResponderBorrarEste comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.
ResponderBorrar